The Flemington Estate is just 3km from central Melbourne and close to all the transport, education, employment, shopping and support services that any community could want. That makes it ideal for renewal, especially as the existing housing on the site dates back to the 1960s.
The 198 dwellings in walk-up blocks that are now on the site are inaccessible to some residents and as they age they become more difficult to maintain to modern standards. These units will be replaced with 218 new public housing homes. They will be safer, more secure, more comfortable and economical, and designed to meet the needs of tenants today and into the future. The original walk-ups at Holland Court will be replaced by new, modern and accessible public housing homes, enough to house 10 per cent more families than the current buildings. This redevelopment will also include private housing, creating a vibrant community which will improve employment and education outcomes and encourage better-connected communities.
As part of Homes for Victorians, the Victorian Government announced the first stage of the Public Housing Renewal Program to provide a significant investment to renew and expand public housing. This includes redevelopment of existing public housing dwellings and increasing the number of public housing properties by 10 per cent across specific metropolitan sites. The sites largely comprise old multi-level ‘walk-up’ apartments that are not suitable for people who are ageing or with disabilities.
The program provides an opportunity to:
- deliver integrated public and private housing on the sites to a high construction and design standard
- deliver co-located community and commercial developments, where suitable and appropriate
- use the value of the sites to help provide better public housing and other public benefits
- develop innovative approaches to fostering integrated communities.
AddressHolland Court, Flemington, Victoria, Australia 3031
- TOWN PLANNING
- 218 NEW PUBLIC HOUSING HOMES
- NEW CHILDREN'S PLAYGROUND
- NEWCYCLING INFRASTRUCTURE
- NEW COMMUNITY GARDEN
Programs Filter By :
In My Area